Chapel Street Congregational Church is an active, progressive, renewed faith community located in the historic village of Saylesville in the southeastern corner of Lincoln, RI. Curiously, though we are little more than a year old, we have a long history dating back to the early part of the 19th century. Our church represents the merger of two historic churches that thrived during the days of Rhode Island's industrial revolution in the late 19th and early 20th centuries but had to adjust to the rapid demographic shifts as well as changes in the religious landscape of the late 20th century.
On January 1, 2012, the Pawtucket and Sayles Memorial Congregational Churches merged to form Chapel Street Congregational Church. Our renewed church represents the continuation of the two historic churches thus retaining its membership in the Rhode Island Conference of the United Church of Christ as well as its covenant relationship in the United Church of Christ.
We affirm the basic principles and progressive values of Reformed Protestant Christianity. Some of these are:
- The Head of our church is Jesus Christ.
- The bible is our authority in matters of faith and practice.
- God is still speaking or, in the words of one of our spiritual ancestors, "There is yet more light and truth to break forth from God's Holy Word. (Pastor John Robinson, 1620).
- The Church of Jesus Christ is charged to be a place of extravagant welcome and a community marked by radical inclusivity. This is to say that, no matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome in our faith community!
- Our church believes in the freedom and responsibility of the individual and the right of private judgment. We hold to the autonomy of the local church and its independence of all ecclesiastical control. At the same time, we honor the covenant relationship among the churches of our faith and order, united in regional and national bodies, for counsel and cooperation in matters of common concern and in mutual ministry and mission.
The best way to get to know us is to visit us in person at our church home located at 185 Chapel Street, Lincoln, Rhode Island. You are always welcome!